background image

background image

Description

The Industrial Revolution pushed civilization forward dramatically. The technological innovations achieved allowed us to build bigger cities, get richer and construct a standard of life never before seen and hardly imagined. Subsequent political agendas and technological innovations have pushed civilization up above Nature resulting in a disconnect. The environmental consequences though are leaving the Earth moribund. In this blog, I'm exploring the idea that integrating computational technology into environmental systems will be the answer to the aftermath of industry.

Above drawing is by Phung Hieu Minh Van, a student at the Architectural Association.

Thursday 7 November 2013

Thinking roads part 2. (..... in waiting .....)

I'm still playing around with using the real-time data to look at the road network in the UK. As I wrote that I would put something of this sort up by last friday I though I would direct those interested to a (albeit more technical) post doing the same thing while I fix the bugs in my code. I'm using Rich Wareham's code as a starting point for my things.

See this link here. 


******* Tuesday, 14th of January 2014 Note *********

I've just come back to this. I've been trying to get this code to work now for ages and have been emailing Rich Wareham but unfortunately I haven't been able to do it because some code needed has depreciated. I'm really sorry. The point I was trying to make is that you can plot the state of the road network at any given time in the UK as the government puts all the data online. It calculates this by looking at long long it takes car to travel certain distances. They do this using the cameras reading number plates! People clever than me can plot this data, here what Rich Wareham's looked like when he did it last summer: 



    
Again the link to his post is here.

And the link to where the data is put is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment